We’re all about living a healthier lifestyle – it’s not about sacrificing everything, it’s simply making better choices that lead to healthier meals. So, to make it as easy as possible for you, we’ve put together some simple food swaps that you can make throughout the day so each meal has more of the good and less of the bad.
- Instead of whole milk try semi-skimmed, 1% fat or even an alternative like almond or coconut milk 🥛
- Swap your sugary glass of fresh orange for just eating an orange – there’s about double the amount of sugar in the drink compared to the fruit itself! 🍊
- Try sprinkling fresh fruit on top of your cereal instead of sugar, you’ll still get your sweet kick. 🍓
- Change your white breads, bagels and muffins for their wholegrain counterparts, or go for something lighter like a wrap. 🍞
- Have a black coffee or Americano instead of a Latte or Cappuccino; you’ll still get the caffeine without all the calories. ☕️
- Poach your eggs instead of frying them – same food, different method! 🥚
- They’re both good and green, but by swapping iceberg lettuce for spinach in your salad you’ll up your intake of iron, magnesium, folate, and vitamins A and C – there’s a reason spinach is classed as a super food! 🌱
- If you’re a fan of cheese and crackers, substitute the crackers for apple slices – good news for your 5-a-day! 🍎
- Don’t snack on nuts or crisps, try something like shelled edamame which is considerably lower in calories and higher in protein. 🥜
- Have quinoa instead of couscous; it’s less processed, high in fibre and protein, and a good source of slow-release energy 🍲
- Give your sandwiches a healthy upgrade and ditch the butter for a low-fat spread like Bertolli. 🥪
- Cauliflower is your new best friend – have it mashed instead of potatoes, and make cauliflower rice as a reduced carb alternative to white rice. 🍚
- Say hello to sweet potato – use them for mash, fries, and wedges for a healthier alternative to your bog standard potato.
- Get rid of pasta and swap it for spiralised courgette, healthier and extra flavour, winner! 🥒
- Choose leaner cuts of meat like back bacon instead of streaky – sometimes you can’t say no to a weekend breakfast sandwich, but you can still make healthier choices 🥓
- If you don’t want to miss out on burgers, ditch the bun and use lettuce instead 🍔
- As a rule of thumb, stick to the grill instead of frying – that way you can keep your favourite ingredients but just cook them in a healthier way, simple!
Of course, we would also recommend swapping your regular, super sugary sauces for some satisfying, sugar free Blend Bros sauces - your everyday BBQ sauce can contain up to 5 grams of sugar in just one tablespoon, and normally it’s squirted all over your food rather than a modest tablespoon! We’ll let you make your own mind up on that though, so head over to our Bottle Shop and try them for yourself!